(This is my 200th article for Alter Minds 😀 )
Anna Hunt, Waking Times | Brainwave entrainment is a way to train the brain to sync to a certain frequency, such as gamma, beta, deta, theta and alpha. Each frequency matches a certain state of consciousness. For example, deta is the brainwave dominant while in an unconscious state such as sleeping; while theta and alpha inspire relaxation and help get away from our beta state of consciousness that, at a higher frequency, promotes stress and anxiety. Listening to lower frequencies such as deta and theta is beneficial during meditation and could help reach a higher mental state.
What Are Gamma Brain Waves?
Gamma waves are present during the waking process and REM (rapid eye movement) sleep. They are the fastest documented brainwave frequency range. They oscillate within the range of 40 Hz to 70 Hz and have the smallest amplitude on an EEG when compared to the other four basic brainwave frequencies.
Gamma brain waves are believed to link and process information from all other parts of the brain. High amount of gamma brain wave activity in the brain is associated with intelligence, compassion, self-control and feelings of happiness. In addition, gamma brain waves have been linked to improved memory and an increased ability to perceive reality.
There seems to be a correlation between increased brain function and higher amounts of gamma brain waves. If you are lacking gamma brain waves, you may experience difficulties with learning and mental cognition. People that are mentally impaired or disabled tend to have significantly less gamma brain wave activity when compared to people with average and above-average intelligence.
Increasing Gamma Brain Waves
Brain wave entertainment, also referred to as binaural beats, is becoming a popular way of inducing desired mental states and accessing our untapped potential. Binaural beats are essentially tones played at different frequencies. For example, if a 300 Hz tone is played on one ear and 310 Hz in the other ear, then the binaural beat has the frequency of 10 Hz. By listening to binaural beats you can affect your brain waves and alter your state of consciousness.
Simply by listening to certain binaural beats using headphones, you will increase your gamma brain waves and are likely boost your mental processing and create a richer sensory experience. You may even increase your IQ! People have reported that after listening to gamma brain waves, they were able to learn at a faster pace and maintain focus for a long time. By becoming more aware of your brainwave state in general, you will likely become more attentive to your different states of consciousness and how they can manifest new experiences and tangible life benefits.
You can easily find gamma brain wave entertainment on YouTube. You can also purchase many gamma brainwave products on Amazon. Below is a short gamma brain wave experience to listen to through your headphones:
Benefits of Gamma Brain Waves
Here’s a list of the likely results as you increase your exposure to gamma brain waves:
- Memory: Improvements in memory, regulation of memory processing in the brain, and ability to vividly recall past experiences.
- Perception: Enhanced ability to perceive reality through the five senses, making smells more powerful, vision more acute, hearing sharper, and taste buds more sensitive, thus making life a sensory-rich experience.
- Assimilation of brain activity: Proper combination of senses and memory, making the memory of each life event more vivid and authentic.
- Brain’s processing speed: Ability to process large amounts of information during a shorter timeframe, similar to getting a processor chip upgrade in a computer.
- Compassion: Spontaneous and natural tendency to feel more compassionate towards others.
- Happiness: Internal propensity towards feeling happier and diminishing thoughts of despair and sadness.